Thursday, December 6, 2012

Girlfriend of a Gamer

So this idea came to me many months ago, and I'm finally sitting down to put it in action. I am letting you know what life is like as the girlfriend of a gamer. I read the Warhammer books, make molds and cast resin figures, clip bits, prime models, strip paint, and generally participate in my boyfriend's hobby. I have all kinds of tips and tricks. But this is an intro, and the answer to the question I get asked the most; "How do I get my girlfriend/wife into games?"

Full disclosure, I am a nerd. I love video games, books, anime, manga, comics, and crazy Game of Thrones memes. I enjoy going to conventions, and with the right incentive, could probably be convinced to cosplay. But I have drawn the line in the sand. I will not play tabletop or card games. My boyfriend has tried everything he can come up with to get me to try. I refuse. But he has gradually gotten me interested the idea. He did it by telling me the stories, and showing me the artwork. These are the two things that will likely attract your girl to playing a game. We don't want to sit around a table with sweaty, unwashed men, who make awkward jokes about things that we know nothing about, trying to not look like a newb. It will take a miracle for us to do anything that will make us look "uncool." So if you want us to play, you have to make it so that WE want to play. (Now, these ideas won't work on all women, and if your girl already plays, she may have started for different reasons.)

First, she wants to spend time with you. This is your trump card. She will do a lot of things just to be with you. Kinda the same way that you go to those sappy chick flicks with her. But, in order to play this card, you must pay attention to her while you are out gaming! If you leave her to wade through the new experience while you go catch up with your friends, it is over. She will never go again. So make sure that you focus on her the first few games. She is in a new world and feels uncomfortable. Stay with her.

Second, make sure she is as prepared as possible before going out to game. Teach her the rules. Tell her some of the storylines (women are always hooked by a good story). Have a practice game with her. We hate looking stupid, probably more than anything else out there. So make sure she has an idea what she is doing before she actually does it.

Finally, get her interested in some aspect of the game. Maybe your girl loves Blood Elves from World of Warcraft. Tell her about the Dark Elves in Warhammer. If she is a DIY-er, show her how she can customize models. If she likes to read fantasy books, you are in luck! So many of the background stories of these games are amazing! Start her off with the stories in a Codex or a book of short stories. Be prepared to answer questions - a lot of them. Many of the books are not friendly if you don't already know the lingo. Basically, find something she already likes, and show her aspects of it in the game. It will get her interested and wanting to learn more.

With a little patience, maybe you can get your girl in on the next D&D night at your local gaming store!
Yea, I'm a nerd. It was also 5 am. Excuse the glasses and lack of makeup.

No comments:

Post a Comment