Thursday, December 13, 2012

Model Stripping



Girlfriend here. And while the title might sound naughty, I'll just be talking about stripping paint. Sorry.

So what I am about to say may be a little controversial. When I have talked about using nail polish remover WITH Acetone to remove paint before, I got all kinds of negative feedback. It melts plastic!! But trust me. I'm a girl. I've been painting my nails, including the fake, plastic kind, since I was capable of holding the brush. (I also painted my first vanity with nail polish - my parents weren't thrilled.) And my nails have never fallen off, the plastic ones have never melted. I have removed color from the carpet before. Again, my parents weren't thrilled.

That being said, there are some high-content Acetone nail polish removers out there. I do recommend using nail polish remover with it, but do a test first. Just throw a little paint on some sprue and see how it reacts.


I like the cheap kind
Supplies you will need:
  • nail polish remover
  • a cup you will never use again
  • q-tips
  • wire brush
I have also used pointed-tip tweezers to get the paint in tight areas. Please ask your girl before using hers. She may be upset if her skin burns the next time she goes to pluck her eyebrows.

If you are trying to remove paint from a metal model, great! Just soak that bad boy in a cup full of remover. It doesn't take more than a few minutes for the paint to soften, but if you forget about it, nothing will be hurt. It will likely remove the glue, however! I've found this is much more common with metal models than plastic.

Just a few minutes in the polish remover
If you are trying to remove the paint from a plastic model, I do recommend doing a test (see above). I have not had an issue with the remover softening the plastic to the point that it was an issue using a wire brush. I HAVE had a piece melt some after SOMEONE put it in the polish remover without letting me know first. I won't mention any names.... but it only affected the shoulderpads a little. It is a good idea to do this near a sink, so you can rinse the polish off quickly if needed. While I have soaked plastic models, I don't suggest it. Q-tips come in very handy here. You can also dip the model, use the wire brush, then rinse, and repeat. This way the model isn't affected by the remover for long.

I have not tested a resin model with the remover. I don't know if it is affected by the remover any differently than the plastic. Feel free to comment below if you have tried it! I will update you when I get a chance to try it myself.

I do reuse the remover I soak the models in. Just pour it back in the bottle, and save it for next time!

OTHER USES FOR NAIL POLISH REMOVER:

It is great for cleaning synthetic brushes! Just make sure to rinse them after and let them dry flat, so the bristles can return to their normal position and don't fray.

It is wonderful for cleaning airbrushes! I have unclogged Nate's airbrush more times than I can count. Just don't spray it through - remover is flammable, and not great to breathe in. Just like the metal models, take it apart, soak in the polish remover, and use q-tips or pipe cleaners as needed.


***I always forget to take "before" pictures of the models I strip. Next time I do it, I will add some before and after pictures!***




5 comments:

  1. Excellent article. I use oil enamel paints (Testors) myself and use similar techniques to remove paint from metal and plastic with thinner.

    One question I have, perhaps the topic for your next article, what type of wire brush do you use with the plastics? It may be the fact that it's been too long since I've been looking at wire brushes but I'd think there would be a greater chance of scratching the mini using wire instead of the plastic fiber brushes I've been using.

    It's been great reading so far and I look forward to the next one. :)

    'Viking' Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike! The brush I use is a small, moderately fine wire brush. I was worried about scratching the plastic, but an old electric toothbrush wasn't getting the job done (it does work great for cleaning the airbrush though). I tested on an old model, and even after completely soaking the model in polish remover for several hours (undiluted), there were no scratches left by the wire brush. And being that it was a test, I really tried to scratch the plastic!

    We use mostly Vallejo acrylic paints.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, hat's off to a good blog.

    Second, I have had problems with nail polish remover and plastic models when I let them soak too long. The paint wasn't softening, I forgot them for a week, and they turned to plastic mush.

    For stripping plastic, I prefer the household cleaner Simple Green. You have to let the models soak in a sealed container for a few days, so it's not great if you are in a hurry, but you can leave them forever and the plastic won't melt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have heard great things about Simple Green, but have just never tried it. But you do make a great point, I definitely don't recommend leaving plastic models soaking in polish remover! I was lucky the one time it happened, only the shoulder pads melted some.

      Delete
  4. Hi! I'm a new follower from the WeeklyBNSBash team on Etsy. Here's my blog if you'd like to follow me back: http://www.brendashandmade.blogspot.com/. Thanks for the very interesting blog post.

    ReplyDelete