Sunday, December 23, 2012

Model Stripping, Part 2

Ok, my friends, prepare yourselves. This one is going to be long. But I've had so many great suggetions and questions about Model Stripping, that I went to work and did some serious research. And boy, have I got the pictures to prove it.

Simple Green seems to be the go-to favorite for removing paint in the tabletop world. So after striking out several times, I finally was able to snag some at my local Ace Hardware. My first thought is, ounce for ounce, this stuff is way more expensive than nail polish remover. But, maybe it is awesome and worth it. So I gathered my tools.


I had questions about what type of wire brush I use. I have to admit, this is just one that was lying around in a tool kit. No exciting hunt for the perfect tool. I found that my old electric toothbrush, which has been recommissioned for cleaning, just wasn't doing the job scraping off the soft paint. So I dug out this brush.

The first test I did was to comletely submerge a figure in each liquid for 2 minutes. ***Note: All tests were done using plastic models with acrylic paint.***


The white figure was soaked in Simple Green, the yellow in nail polish remover.


After 2 minutes, each was removed.
 
 
 
 Here are the results, after a little work with the wire brush, with no additional soaking.
 
 
 
And after adding some more polish remover and Simple Green, respectively, using Q-tips.
 
 
Now I could have removed more paint, but they are going to be repainted, and I was just plain getting tired, and didn't want to use anymore elbow grease. Details are a bit more difficult to get into. This is when I use the fine-point tweezers. They are great at digging out paint from small creases. Notice, the model soaked in the Simple Green had a bit of an issue with glue coming off.
 
Next test: longer soaking in a sealed container. Now, I had only planned on doing this test with the Simple Green. I know that there is a point that polish remover will melt the plastic, and I don't suggest soaking plastic models in it for more than a few minutes. But Nate encouraged me to try it, and even picked out a model to sacrifice, errr, test.
 
 
 
 
I sealed this guy up for 2 hours.
 
 
And this is how he looked, after a little work with the wire brush. He went back in the bath for another 2 hours.
 
 
 
Next, I sealed up this guy in nail polish remover for 2 hours.
 
 
And here he is, after a little time with the wire brush. While he had no issues with melting, I still don't suggest soaking plastic guys in polish remover. It is all great and dandy, until you find your rare model has turned into a pile of goo.
 
 
Finally, here is our Simple Green guy, after soaking for 4 hours. Now keep in mind, at this point it was 11 P.M. and I was tired. I could have gotten more paint off, but again, I didn't feel like killing my hands, scraping paint with a pair of tweezers. The paint that is left is mostly in creases that are hard to reach with anything bigger than a toothpick.
 
 
So my conclusion? Both the Simple Green and the nail polish remover pretty much did the same job. Neither melted or softened the plastic. I used the wire brush on every single figure tested, and had no issues with scratching. The paint came off just as easily with both. I did have 2 guys lose some glued parts with the Simple Green. This didn't happen with the nail polish remover with this test, but it has happened to me before. My only complaint was the Simple Green was harder to find and waaaay more expensive. But which ever way you decide to go, you will be able to fix those horrible painted figures you bought from that guy who was selling his old Eldar army...
 
I hope I answered some of your questions! I love comments, so let me know what you think.

 
 


1 comment:

  1. Try a cleaner called Super Clean, you can find it in most hardware and auto parts stores. Soak a miniature in that for 4 hours and even the most stubborn paint just comes right off. And it is perfectly safe for plastic figures, I have left plastics in undiluted Super Clean overnight and there wasn't the slightest bit of damage to the model or its details.

    And I would recommend a really good toothbrush for the after-soak brushing. Wire brushes run far too much risk of damaging the miniature, particularly plastics.

    ReplyDelete